[PD] Pd performance at TED

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Mon Jun 20 13:43:02 CEST 2011

Ingo,
thanks for your explanation, I think to understand how he's playing.

> The movement looks to me secondary - it's more like a dance movement and
> not
> too much music control.

This might be a very personal take, but if movement is secondary in gestural
control, why one uses gestural control at all?
I believe that effective and ancillary gestures are what reinforce our
perception of an instrument as a musical tool, rather than a mere "device".
Imho many gestural controllers would benefit of a better focus on this
aspect.

> How would you play such melodic lines (like those jazz licks) - in time -
> simply with gestural control?

Setting an array of preset chords, triggering them with multiple switches,
deploying a timeline which holds the trigger until the onset of the next
beat or quarter, etc...
I guess the list here could come up with many other methods.
I'm not saying that's trivial, I only think that it's not the "future" as it
is presented in the video.

> How would you improvise on scales, pattern or
> harmonic structures? After all he's a jazz player calling his music "beat
> jazz".

What do you call improvisation in this case?
How much is he improvising?
I can imagine he's "improvising" with the melodic lines, but playing samples
and presets chords doesn't match my own definition of improvisation.

cheers,

Marco Donnarumma
Independent New Media and Sonic Arts Professional, Performer, Instructor
ACE, Sound Design MSc by Research (ongoing)
The University of Edinburgh, UK
Portfolio: http://marcodonnarumma.com
Lab: http://www.thesaddj.com | http://cntrl.sourceforge.net |
http://www.flxer.net