[PD] Pd performance at TED

Patrice Colet colet.patrice at free.fr
Tue Jun 21 04:07:02 CEST 2011

Hello Pedro,

 J. Coltrane or the bird passed a very long time about learning and experimenting patterns that sounds good all along standards.
"Love supreme" is from my point of view like the synthesis of all the knowledge J. C. got from playing in clubs with best jazz players.
 By analysing his playing I could say that it's just patterns putted together, but they did improvise though.

 Terry Riley with his "In C" idea just showed how to improvise a structure with a simple concept.
The player can decide whenever he play or not, the patterns are evolving according to the sensitivity of musicians.
Obviously there can be more complex way of improvising structures, but basicly it's quite the same concept.
Why would something more complex would be more pertinent?

 In TED performance we see how interfaces would be used to interpret electronic music, unfortunately the player doesn't seem to have a lot of culture in electronic music, but maybe someone else with a lot more experience and knowledge would show a performance like great improvisators we know, I'd love to see how squarepusher would play with this ^^

 The blank page proposed by matohawk is the kind of stuff that might help pd users to have an approach of improvisating with pure data or max, like it was done in jazz club, but instead of jazz standards the material is rather the objects proposed by those softwares, and certainly all the electronic stuff that has started to emerge since the birth of first synth.

 This subject is a door opened to a lot of speculating,
cheers.