[PD] loading patches much faster with -realtime

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 11:43:20 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've found out that Pd takes a lot longer to load big patches when run
without the -realtime option (or if you prefer, it is a lot faster in
order of magnitude and a half.
This is on Linux. Does this happen on Mac too?

I guess this is because realtime gives it a higher overall priority, but
I wouldn't expect this to affect the loading of patches, would you? I
don't know if anything can be done about this, but _if_ it can, I think
Pd should try to load a patch as fast as possible regardless of whether
it is in realtime mode or not. Couldn't it "acquire" this higher
priority (the way it does when launched with -realtime) temporarily
before loading a patch and then "release" it? Or is that a static thing
that can only be determined at startup?

Just some thoughts

Cheers
m.