[PD] Pd performance at TED

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jun 21 15:16:22 CEST 2011

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, Andy Farnell wrote:

> Marco's disappointment is understandable (sorry if I misinterpret this
> Marco). When I watched "Top of the pops" as a teenager, like many kids
> of that age I was outraged that the performers mimed. Sometimes you
> could see their instruments were just props. It is very insulting to
> someone who has invested effort and emotion to an activity to see it
> trivialised to a banal fashion statement. Like a soldier seeing their
> regimental badge worn as a punk accessory.

That's why, conceptually, my favourite two performances are XTC's Making
Plans for Nigel, in which they made a point of hitting a gong that doesn't
sound like one, and... oh, the other one is actually from the similar show
American Bandstand : Public Image Limited's Poptones, in which they get
bored of miming halfway through the song, and just go dancing with the
audience.

(But then, I haven't seen so many clips from TOTP and/or ABS.)