[PD] CVs

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Jun 21 21:23:11 CEST 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:15:01 -0400 (EDT)
Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> Is it bleeding or is that just something said from the perspective of
> innocence, as if in a previous world, logic would have been complete ?

> If a complete and consistent self-referential logic system is impossible,
> then this is something that has to be accepted as having been always true,
> and our conception of the world has to be rebraided according to that
> truth. It's not useful to keep holding an old ideal of universality that
> looks like a measuring stick with which we assess an increasing rift
> between our fantasies and the consciousness of our own limits.
>
> Gödel in the Garden of Eden bites into the fruit of [...] and it all went
> downhill from there. ;)

It's not the noble savage thing I'm arguing there Mat,

Few things that come to my mind....

  It's not downhill. Okay, my "wound" poetic was a bit strong,
maybe I should have said the box couldn't be closed or something.
A better metaphor is to say it's uphill all the way, that as
we climb higher the mountain gets narrower until one day you
are standing on a peak with nowhere to run.

Secondly it's unthinkable, by definition. How to contemplate
the ineffable price we paid for reason and language, using
reason and language?

Lastly I would be most inclined towards Rousseau in regard to
rebraiding, not a return to a state of nature "to live with lions
and bears", but to move beyond mere instrumental reason to a kinder
more compassionate position that subsumes logic, with all its
flaws, into it.

a.

--
Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>