[PD] [OT] technological parody was: Pd performance at TED

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 23:33:03 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The Rube Goldberg machines and the fridge are great examples of parodies--
> I suppose
> we can call them technological parodies if we want to be precise.  But for
> things that
> are not actually meant as parodies, it's a misnomer that just seems like an
>
> ideological term of derision.

Correct.  It's a kids game, I know... and it works as intended.  Yes--I am
deriding it even though I probably don't have to.

so, I guess you mean to say that a *real* parody has to be intentional?  I
doubt the creators of the robotic beer fridge thought they were creating a
parody--but the sheer impracticality and high-technology implementation
*makes* it one.

So, calling *anything* a "technological parody" is as you said, just an
ideological term of derision.  But after all, you can create anything you
want, it depends on how it's received by other people what labels they would
put on it.