[PD] Videos don't loop smoothly on Mac

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 18:13:42 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've found out that on Mac OS, pix_film doesn't loop videos smoothly,
that is, every time you jump from the last frame to the first, a little
delay occurs.

This doesn't happen on Linux nor Windows with the same video files, and
I've never observed it on Window nor linux with _any_ video file (or
maybe only with some codecs with a lot of inter-frame compression).
Also, these files are coded with the Apple Animation codec which
shouldn't give any such problem.

Has anybody found a workaround or solution? (I guess somebody has been
using video with Pd on Mac OS...)

It must be a general problem with quicktime, as I've heard people using
Mac have the same issue (people seem to assume it is just something you
have to live with), however if I play it with the Quicktime Player it
loops fine (something I wouldn't even expect from a standalone player)......

Has anybody faced this problem and found a solution? (other than
generating a long video wit the loop repeated a lot of times)...

thanks
m.