[PD] Pd performance at TED

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Fri Jun 24 09:19:50 CEST 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:52:25 +0200
Onyx Ashanti <onyxashanti at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to practice a few hours everyday with my hands in various dificult
> positions, but i think that the stationary horn-stance habit started waning
> after about a week and a half

Cos of tiring arms?  I discovered similar watching students using
the Kinetic with osceleton. If your "home position" is too ambitious
it become more like stress position torture to maintain it. The shoulders
get tired first, then (especially with too much weight at the hands
if you are holding a controller too) the ulners go numb.

> every performance i do is complete improv. before a show, i
> only practice scales, gestures and rhythm excercises.
> The TED performance was comptely improv.  in fact, it was
> supposed to be drum and bass, then half way thru i
> changed my mind.

Jolly good. I am somewhat surprised. But how much musical
flexibility would you say there was? You must start with
a constrained set of sounds/synths. Can you scroll through
different banks of prepared material using the "HUD" (I didn't
really understand how that works to be honest)
Thanks for sharing these thoughts. Good to have you jump in
and enlighten us on the performance.

cheers,
a.
--