[PD] pdp removing v4l in favour of v4l2 [WAS] Re: Pd-extended build for Ubuntu 11.04 x64 ?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Jun 29 18:01:58 CEST 2011

On Jun 29, 2011, at 10:36 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

> IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>>
>> hi
>>
>> i haven't had a look at your code but:
>
> Should have mentioned this wasn't intended as anything definitive
> (and probably was a mistake to forward to the ml at this stage)
>
>> On 2011-06-29 15:31, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>>> Previously sent to Hans only forwarding to the list.
>>> Hi again...

>>> It doesn't seem so trivial though... I hadn't understood correctly
>>> that
>>> pdp_v4l2 is actually part of pidip, not pdp.
>>>
>>> So following the radical approach of totally getting rid of v4l in
>>> favour of v4l2 here's  my first attempt where I brutally replaced
>>> pdp_v4l.c with the contents of pdp_v4l2.c,
>> now this sounds really really like bad practice.

>> imho, [pdp_v4l] is a v4l1 object, and should stay like that.
>> by changing it, you break all the patches that rely on [pdp_v4l]
>> accessing their v4l1-webcam.

>> pidip has been removed from the puredata repositories because of
>> license
>> issues. just using the code and assuming whatever license is a no-go.
> Ok. It would make sense then to have pdp_v4l2 in pdp. Anyhow pidip
> is still in the official source for 0.42 extended presented on the
> front page of puredata.info
>
> That said I don't have the skills/time to create a pdp_v4l2 so I
> guess if the pidip code can't be used someone (tm) should pick up
> the task.

We can definitely help with the tricky bits. It would be a valuable
contribution to PDP.  You could also contact Yves directly (the pidip
author) and see if he would be willing to let you include the pdp_v4l2
code in PDP as the same license.

At the very least, it should be easy to get pdp_v4l compiling again
using the new header.

.hc