[PD] GOP Rendering Issue

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Thu Jul 7 21:10:07 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-07 at 09:32 -0700, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> I tested the patch from
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3030159&group_id=55736&atid=478070
> with pd-l2ork (Pd version 0.42.5-extended-l2ork-20110427)
> and every time I clicked the tgl in the parent patch it put me into
> edit mode. (Doesn't
> do that in pd vanilla).

OK, I just investigated this and the reason the edit mode is enabled
because I never encountered a need to dynamically change GOPs this way
and thus treated changes in canvas properties as editing of a patch
which (as a courtesy) automatically enables editing mode. The same goes
for editing of any other object's properties. e.g. create a vslider,
exist the editing mode, right-click on the vslider and select
properties, and the editing mode will be automatically enabled.

If you think this should not be the case we are facing a
discrepancy--whereas some editing actions automatically enable editing
mode, others don't. So, we need to figure out if we're going to be
consistent one way or the other. Hans mentioned something about a
performance mode in the latest pd-extended. Perhaps that would mean that
the courtesy auto-editing would be then supplanted with strict editing
mode which when disabled would grey-out (disable) all options that are
associated with editing.

Best wishes,

Ico