[PD] notes/questions from a beginner

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 23:10:08 CEST 2011

Looks like you already implemented a lot of the features in DD that I've been thinking about:
* decent zoom capability
* customizable fonts
* balloon tips (although I hate balloons and used a Firefox-style notification area which can also be accessed by the user)
* ttk::notebook in a centralized "Preferences" window
* canvas/wire/box/etc. colors

* snapping to grid
* editmode crosshairs

Questions:
* for customizable fonts, why did you let the user specify the size?  If you just have a hardcoded box height and character width (for, say, DejaVu Sans Mono) and automatically size any custom font to fit those specs, then you can guarantee that the graphical diagram will be pixel exact across platforms, with the only variable being the _exact_ font size.  (And since the font metrics are the only thing that cannot be guaranteed to be the same across platforms, then it should be fitted to the boxes, and not the other way around.)  Granted you'd have extra space at the right side of the box when variable-width fonts are used, but that's a small aesthetic price to pay for guaranteed vertical wire connections on ancillary inlets.

* what's the current status of Desire Data?  There are a great deal of features that would be good to port to (any flavor of) 0.43, but I'm not sure how the work of porting stacks up against the work of just updating/bugfixing DD.

* has anyone used tkzinc?  On the one hand, all the new feature requests I've seen for future versions of tk canvas have the caveat that they are already implemented in tkzinc, (item grouping, transparency, full text rotation, etc.) but it seems like an unmaintained library at this point.

***

Since I now have a copy of DD compiled, might as well try out the keyboard patching magic... :)

-Jonathan