[PD] importing / using large equation into expr command

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Sep 4 17:35:39 CEST 2011

A .pd file is a text file, so you can just open your Pd patch in a
text editor, and paste in the equation.  But honestly with something
that big, I think making a C external might be easier in the long run.

.hc

On Sep 4, 2011, at 9:22 AM, Rick T wrote:

> Greetings All
>
> I have 2 large equations that I would like to use with the expr
> command.  Is it possible to import a text file into the expr command?
> Here's an example of one of the 2 equations http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6576402/questions/eq1.txt
> Basically it's a 1 second periodic signal with sample rate at 44100
> which the equation gives me control over the
> frequency,amplitude,phase and vertical offset
>
> I do have the ability to create a wave (audio) file of the equation
> first and import the wave file into PureDate, but will I have the
> same control over the frequency,amplitude,phase and vertical offset
> that the equation gives me?.
>
> If you want to know what I'm creating.
> 1) The first option will import a text file into a table/array that
> will control the variables of the equations that will vary
> frequency,amplitude,phase and vertical offset over time.
> 2) The second option will allow the variables to be controllable/
> variable using a midi controller and it's audio signal played
>
> I know Puredata can do this very well with small equations and the
> expr command but using large equations I'm not sure.  Also if I
> should be doing this in a different way please let me know I'm
> always willing to learn something new.
>
> Thanks
> --

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself
of it.            - Thomas Jefferson