[PD] (breaking symbols) was Re: find a list of numbers in a text file

fbar fbar at footils.org
Tue Sep 6 09:53:05 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 09:44:33AM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> I'm not sure what "appears in the patch" should mean. It definitly means
> that numercial-symbol selectors don't get shown and cannot be written
> into a patch, so you cannot use them in the editor where "real"
> selectors should be written, like in [route].

Forgot to add: Of course it is possible and legal to "use" numerical or
non-printable symbols as selectors, but they have to be constructed
dynamically and cannot be typed, in accordance with the restrictions
mentioned in the manual. Instead something like this can be used:

  [makefilename %d]

  |                  [makefilename %d]
  [select symbol-dummy]

I used [makefilename %d] a lot in the rj library's [m_chorddict]
dictionary for chords, where some chord names are proper symbols, like
"m7", while others are floats like 7. The float-names get converted to
symbols internally to look up chord notes in a data structure array
keyed by symbols only (using [m_symbolarray]).

Ciao
--
Frank