[PD] freeverb crashes on new computer

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Sep 7 16:23:06 CEST 2011

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, ronni montoya wrote:

> Hi, im trying to run old patches on my new computer  but freeverb~
> always crashes , from time to time it stop doing sound and i get "nan"
> if i conect an env~ object after it.

AFAIK, if you get nan out of [env~], it's because there's at least one nan
per window in the output of [freeverb~]... you can use [print~] for
greater detail, so that you can figure out the difference between « there
bug report.

> Do anybody have an idea why is this behaivor and how to solve it?

nan is often due to trying to do 0/0 or log(-1) or other out-of-range
things. (some other out-of-range operations yield +inf or -inf instead, it
depends)

Actually... is [clip~ -1 1] really able to get rid of nan ? can you check
that your input of freeverb never has any nan ? I think that in theory,
[clip~] knows how to get rid of +inf and -inf, but doesn't know what to do
with nan.

If not, then someone has to be reading the freeverb source and look for
such possible mistakes.