[PD] freeverb crashes on new computer

Claude Heiland-Allen claude at goto10.org
Wed Sep 7 16:55:55 CEST 2011

On 07/09/11 15:23, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, ronni montoya wrote:
>> Do anybody have an idea why is this behaivor and how to solve it?
>
> nan is often due to trying to do 0/0 or log(-1) or other out-of-range
> things.

Probably inf - inf or 0 * inf are NaN, I haven't checked the specs.

> (some other out-of-range operations yield +inf or -inf instead,
> it depends)
>
> Actually... is [clip~ -1 1] really able to get rid of nan ?

No, because NaN compares always result in false:

http://pure-data.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=pure-data/pure-data;a=blob;f=src/d_math.c;h=f76bffef18607334a67b147fc498b7513dd6372b;hb=HEAD#l42

Workaround/fix might be:

if (!(f > x->lo)) f = x->lo;
if (!(f < x->hi)) f = x->hi;

But this might all be screwed up depending on how Pd and/or freeverb is
compiled, I know some inf/nan things can behave even more strangely with
-ffast-math (for example, Pd .git has no mention of it as far as I can
tell).

Claude