[PD] (breaking symbols) was Re: find a list of numbers in a text file

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 23:46:46 CEST 2011

----- Original Message -----

Well, that's something I've wanted for a long time.  But what I am proposing has to do with
selectors, not symbol messages.

Problem: convert from symbol-atom to float-atom
Proposal: if a selector happens to be in a form that can be interpreted by the
naked eye as a valid Pd float, and the object receiving the message has a float method
(and no anything method), then send a float to the object.

[r infinite-expressivity]

[1( <- float

[makefilename %d] <-- converted to symbol message (and the message arg is convert to a symbol-atom)

[list trim] <-- now we have a message with the selector 1 and no arguments

[route float] <-- seriously, it's a symbol-atom, not a float

------------+

[float] <-- my proposal: give [float] a float-atom instead of a symbol-atom in this case

[route float]

[set $1, bang(

[s infinite-expressivity]

But if there were a really nice quoting mechanism, that would probably be much clearer.

> etc.
>
> A quoting mechanism would also help.  We could probably get away with only
> \.  For example, \ for spaces, like:
>
> [symbol /home/hans/My\ Documents(
> [symbol I\ like\ lots\ of\ \ \ \ \ spaces(
> [symbol commas\,\ in\ symbols(
> [symbol semi-colon\;\ in\ symbols(

That looks really ugly to me.  What's wrong with "quotes"?

> And last but least, and its already in there:
>
> [symbol \43(
> [symbol \-21343(
> [symbol \-0.2e59(
>
> Anything that just \ couldn't cover?

[openpanel] <- outputs /home/hans/My documents

[set symbol $1(

[ ( <-- What's printed here? ...My documents or ...My\ documents?