[PD] (breaking symbols) was Re: find a list of numbers in a text file

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Sep 6 22:04:28 CEST 2011

On Sep 6, 2011, at 12:30 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> [...]

I guess I'm not clear on your proposal.  Is it that a "symbol"
selector automatically converts things to a symbol?  That makes a lot
of sense, and would help with other issues.  Then you could also make
symbols with spaces, like:

[symbol 43(
[symbol /home/hans/My Documents(

etc.

A quoting mechanism would also help.  We could probably get away with
only \.  For example, \ for spaces, like:

[symbol /home/hans/My\ Documents(
[symbol I\ like\ lots\ of\ \ \ \ \ spaces(
[symbol commas\,\ in\ symbols(
[symbol semi-colon\;\ in\ symbols(

And last but least, and its already in there:

[symbol \43(
[symbol \-21343(
[symbol \-0.2e59(

Anything that just \ couldn't cover?

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself
of it.            - Thomas Jefferson