[PD] [OT] cool book (maybe relevant to list discussion)

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 18:09:34 CEST 2011

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:36:20 -0400 (EDT)
Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> « Standard compsci » problems exclude a lot of new things for pedagogical
> reasons, to stay within the level of difficulty of first-year programming
> students and middle-year algorithmics students. There isn't a reason to
> stay within that problem set when the goal is to compare languages for
> daily use in potentially big practical projects.

Standard problems also make good, familiar points of comparison.

Maybe just time and space play a part. As a writer my own
experience is that no matter your good intentions to be complete,
one must draw a line (and if you don't the publisher will).

Sadly it's the fringe cases, and the esoterica that is often
most interesting.

a.

--
Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>