[PD] [OT] cool book (maybe relevant to list discussion)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Sep 9 19:58:40 CEST 2011

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Andy Farnell wrote:

> Standard problems also make good, familiar points of comparison.

This allows to make comparisons that completely miss the reasons why new
languages are still being created.

> Sadly it's the fringe cases, and the esoterica that is often most
> interesting.

Writing big programmes, in itself, is not fringe nor esoteric. And
nowadays, in multitasking operating systems, if you don't happen to be
talking to other computers over a network, you could instead be talking to
other programmes on the same computer. In 2011, that's not fringe nor
esoteric.

Going out of Programming 101 doesn't get you automatically in the odd and
weird stuff. I don't know why you talk about going from an extreme to
another.