[PD] drag-n-drop support in Pd-extended (TkDND)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Sep 19 19:04:17 CEST 2011

That would be very useful, great idea!  I'll happily help you get that
going if you are willing to take it on.  I don't think it would be
very hard to do.  Basically, just take the plugin I wrote, but bind to
the canvas widget that the object makes rather than the patch window.
Then it would call a Tcl proc which would send the info to pd to be
output from the outlet.  hcs/cursor is an example of that.

What I've been thinking of doing is have file association patches, so
like wav.pd, mov.pd, mp3,pd, etc.  Then when you drop a .wav file onto
a canvas, it would copy-n-paste the contents of wav.pd where you
dropped the .wav file.

.hc

On Sep 19, 2011, at 12:53 PM, Mike Moser-Booth wrote:

> A bit of a variation on what João is suggesting, but I think a simple
> [cnv]-like gui object that will take a drag-and-drop file and output
> the path and filename would be nice. Something that just defines an
> area to drop on. Then you could just do simple things like stick the
> [cnv] behind an array and drop a soundfile on it to load, for example.
>
> .mmb
>
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:05 AM, João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> one of the first things to do could be a drag+drop version of
>> openpanel. I
>> suggest to make it with an "take whole canvas" option - so that a
>> file can
>> be dropped anywhere in the canvas, and it's symbol location goes to
>> the
>> relevant patch sequence.
>>

>>> Patko and I just got TkDND working on Windows and included Pd-
>>> extended
>>> 0.43.  That means tomorrows nightly build should have it included,