[PD] pd-extended 0.43 default settings don't load libdir? + font question

Jacob Lee artdent at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 04:46:18 CEST 2011

I've finally got pd-extended 0.43 mostly working when built from
source. I filed a few bugs this afternoon (thanks for the quick
fixes!) and now I have just a couple more problems. I would file them
as bugs, but I don't understand enough of the internals to quite
figure out what's going on, and they might be interesting to the
general list.

#1 - The stock default.pdextended file, from packages/linux_make,
doesn't include libdir on its list of libraries to load. This means
all of the formerly-builtin objects from "vanilla" don't get loaded,
making for a pretty broken environment. Should libdir be added to that
list? Or is there some other mechanism that is supposed to ensure
libdir is always loaded? (On a related note, the PACKAGE_TYPE=tarbz2
method of installation includes default.pdextended in the tarball, but
the generated install makefile doesn't put it anywhere.)

#2 - Pd can't find any fonts other than Courier. This might actually
be a tk problem, based on the following tclsh session:
% package require Tk
8.4
% font families
{fangsong ti} fixed {clearlyu alternate glyphs} {courier 10 pitch}
{open look glyph} {bitstream charter} {song ti} {open look cursor}
newspaper {clearlyu ligature} mincho {clearlyu devangari extra}
{clearlyu pua} dotum clearlyu clean nil {clearlyu arabic} {clearlyu
devanagari} batang {standard symbols l} gothic {clearlyu arabic extra}

That list is short and doesn't include e.g. DejaVu Sans Mono, which is
installed on my system via the ttf-dejavu package. I've noticed that
the standard default.pdextended includes
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType on the search path,
and I tried adding /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu to that list
to see if it would help, but no dice. I couldn't figure out from the
code how e.g. $sys_searchpath affects Tcl's font search path. Anyone
have any ideas what could be going wrong?

--
Jacob Lee
artdent at gmail.com