[PD] compiling pd vanilla in OS X 10.7 Lion

Rich E reakinator at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 06:53:38 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I compiled pd vanilla (Miller's git repo) in OS X 10.7 Lion yesterday and
ran into (only) a couple hitches.

It seems gettext is missing and this causes the linking to fail because it
can't find the msgfmt tool. I got it and compiled pd by doing:

sudo brew install --universal gettext
sudo ln -s /usr/local/Cellar/gettext/0.18.1.1/bin/msgfmt/usr/local/bin/msgfmt
./configure CFLAGS="-arch i386" LDFLAGS="-arch i386"
make

I don't know much about the gettext tool, but am I wrong in thinking that it
should surely be there and blame apple for messing up on a very common unix
package?

Cheers,
Rich