[PD] compiling pd vanilla in OS X 10.7 Lion

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Sep 26 18:27:26 CEST 2011

Hmm, yes, it seems that Mac OS X does not include gettext, its the
same on my 10.5 install.  You can use the old build system in src/
configure.ac and get no translations or install gettext and use the
new build system.  I suppose we need to add gettext detection to the
new build system so it'll build without gettext.

.hc

On Sep 26, 2011, at 12:53 AM, Rich E wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I compiled pd vanilla (Miller's git repo) in OS X 10.7 Lion
> yesterday and ran into (only) a couple hitches.
>
> It seems gettext is missing and this causes the linking to fail
> because it can't find the msgfmt tool. I got it and compiled pd by
> doing:
>
> sudo brew install --universal gettext
> sudo ln -s /usr/local/Cellar/gettext/0.18.1.1/bin/msgfmt /usr/local/
> bin/msgfmt
> ./configure CFLAGS="-arch i386" LDFLAGS="-arch i386"
> make
>
> I don't know much about the gettext tool, but am I wrong in thinking
> that it should surely be there and blame apple for messing up on a
> very common unix package?
>
> Cheers,
> Rich

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman