[PD] Keyboard shortcuts for "nudge", "done editing"

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Mon Sep 26 06:54:25 CEST 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 05:33:22PM -0700, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> If you are planning on making substantial contributions to Pd Vanilla,

I wouldn't say I'm "planning" on it -- more that I'd like to keep that option
open.

> you should consider making a few "test" contributions to gauge the amount of
> time and energy it will take you to get patches accepted; something like a
> patch for getting this <control-enter> key binding would be a good start.

Indeed, I've already started that process, by negotiating the shape of the
patch to come and building consensus.  :) There's been some question as to
what key combo should be used.  It seems that [modifier]-Enter is already in
use and people are happy with it, so I'll go that direction despite my mild
personal preference for <ESC>.

A patch which has consensus support from the community probably has a better
chance at being applied, even under BDFL governance.  :)   But consensus can
be costly to achieve depending on the project's culture...

> Also, realize that any substantial changes you make may sit in the patch
> tracker for some time -- it's not easy getting them accepted, nor
> communicating with Miller if they don't.

Well, controlling entities for open source projects have to be responsive to
their communities.  If they are not, they get forked, or people move on to
other things.

But it's also generally true that large, boil-the-ocean patches are costly to
review, especially for stable projects with large user bases, and so
contributors are well-advised to bear that in mind and prepare small,
easily-digested morsels when possible.

> Additionally, if they are big, desirable improvements to the Pd community
> they may find their way into Pd-extended anyway.

So long as contributions to Vanilla are integrated into Pd-extended in a way
that adheres to the provisions of Vanilla's BSD license, then there's no
problem. :)

Cheers,

Marvin Humphrey