[PD] Keyboard shortcuts for "nudge", "done editing"

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Tue Sep 27 01:59:12 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:20:13AM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Welcome to Pd!  This is a nice entry, showing up with a patch to fix a
> bug :-D.

Thanks, nice to meet you.  I may as well put these C skills to use, eh?

> The whole canvas_key thing is pretty messy, so I think your
> patch is probably as good as its going to get.  I'll apply it.  Patches
> are definitely very welcome :-D.

Thanks for being so responsive.

> In the future, please submit them to the patch tracker, the 'git
> format-patch' format is preferred:
>
> http://puredata.info/dev/patchtracker

Well, I wasn't yet convinced that the patch was in its final form -- the
inlined diff was intended for discussion. :)

FWIW, I'd seen reference to the patch tracker while browsing through
<http://puredata.info/dev>.  There's a decent amount of documentation there
for potential contributors to orient themselves, though like most wikis the
world over, some of the material is out of date.

If I figure out further improvements, I will submit final patches to the patch
tracker according to the project's preferred procedures.

Ideally, I would like to eliminate the "#ifdef __APPLE__" altogether.  That's
probably not possible.  My second choice would be to keep only the higher
keyval numbers, since that's what my current system needs.  But maybe I've
been going down the wrong path this whole time...

Curiously, the official Pd 0.43 OS X binary does not have any problems on Snow
Leopard with regards to cursor keys.  I only get these problems when building
from source.

I tried compiling from the 0.43 source tarball.  (I tried first to find a git
tag corresponding to 0.43; "git tag -l" didn't find anything, but I'm not a
git power user and maybe I'm missing something.)  Building with the "new"
build system required the "fix launching on Mac OS X" patch (3360aba7).
(Building with the "old" build system failed spectacularly and I wasn't sure
how to proceed.)

Compiling the 0.43 sources produced a binary that doesn't handle cursor keys
correctly.  So, something about my Snow Leopard build environment is causing
the problem...

Hmm, I had ActiveTCL 8.6 installed... but disabling that didn't help.  (Aside:
It's a pain to hide everything that Tcl installs.)

Any ideas?  How does my system differ from the system which was used to build
the official 0.43 OS X binary?

Marvin Humphrey