[PD] Keyboard shortcuts for "nudge", "done editing"

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Sep 27 02:19:21 CEST 2011

On Sep 26, 2011, at 7:59 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:20:13AM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:
>> Welcome to Pd!  This is a nice entry, showing up with a patch to
>> fix a
>> bug :-D.
>
> Thanks, nice to meet you.  I may as well put these C skills to use,
> eh?
>
>> The whole canvas_key thing is pretty messy, so I think your
>> patch is probably as good as its going to get.  I'll apply it.
>> Patches
>> are definitely very welcome :-D.
>
> Thanks for being so responsive.
>
>> In the future, please submit them to the patch tracker, the 'git
>> format-patch' format is preferred:
>>
>> http://puredata.info/dev/patchtracker
>
> Well, I wasn't yet convinced that the patch was in its final form --
> the
> inlined diff was intended for discussion. :)
>
> FWIW, I'd seen reference to the patch tracker while browsing through
> <http://puredata.info/dev>.  There's a decent amount of
> documentation there
> for potential contributors to orient themselves, though like most
> wikis the
> world over, some of the material is out of date.
>
> If I figure out further improvements, I will submit final patches to
> the patch
> tracker according to the project's preferred procedures.
>
> Ideally, I would like to eliminate the "#ifdef __APPLE__"
> altogether.  That's
> probably not possible.  My second choice would be to keep only the
> higher
> keyval numbers, since that's what my current system needs.  But
> maybe I've
> been going down the wrong path this whole time...

Really, the whole canvas_key() and corresponding side in Tcl should be
chucked and written from scratch.  Tcl/Tk has improved a lot since
that was written, and currently is a collection of hacks upon hacks.

> Curiously, the official Pd 0.43 OS X binary does not have any
> problems on Snow
> Leopard with regards to cursor keys.  I only get these problems when
> building
> from source.

> I tried compiling from the 0.43 source tarball.  (I tried first to
> find a git
> tag corresponding to 0.43; "git tag -l" didn't find anything, but
> I'm not a
> git power user and maybe I'm missing something.)  Building with the
> "new"
> build system required the "fix launching on Mac OS X" patch
> (3360aba7).
> (Building with the "old" build system failed spectacularly and I
> wasn't sure
> how to proceed.)
>
> Compiling the 0.43 sources produced a binary that doesn't handle
> cursor keys
> correctly.  So, something about my Snow Leopard build environment is
> causing
> the problem...
>
> Hmm, I had ActiveTCL 8.6 installed... but disabling that didn't
> help.  (Aside:
> It's a pain to hide everything that Tcl installs.)
>
> Any ideas?  How does my system differ from the system which was used
> to build
> the official 0.43 OS X binary?

I think this bug only shows up on Tk/Cocoa versions, not the old Tk/
Carbon.  In Pd-extended, I include a version of Tk/Carbon still since
there are still a number of unresolved bugs when using Tk/Cocoa, like
this one you just found :).

scarcity."        -John Gilmore