[PD] Keyboard shortcuts for "nudge", "done editing"

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Tue Sep 27 03:02:32 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 08:29:45PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Wow, that's interesting.  I don't often hear that, people using Tcl in
> their work.

I write open source code for a living -- Eventful sponsors my work on the
Apache Lucy search engine library, and that's where about 75% of my hours go.
A volunteer showed up a little while ago who wants to add Tcl bindings for
Lucy.  I'm teaching myself Tcl so that I can work with this volunteer more
effectively.

> Sure you can, its a .tcl script, meaning you are giving the user the
> source whenever you are giving the user the program.  So its even kind
> of BSD-ish because you can't give the user a GUI plugin without giving
> them the source, so you don't need to do anything else to distribute the
> source. Pd patches are the same idea.

I am sincerely grateful for the pointer to this plugin and for your generosity
with your time and support, but I assume that a miscommunication has occurred
and I am not understanding your suggestion properly.  I cannot take code from
this plugin, make changes to adapt it for Vanilla, remove the GPL tag and
replace it with an implicit BSD license by submitting it to the patch tracker.
That would not adhere to the original author's license, and it would be a
violation of copyright.

If I wish to supply the proposed functionality for Vanilla my options are
either to create a new patch from scratch which cannot be considered a
"derivative work" of that plugin, or to track down all the original authors of
that plugin, persuade them to issue their code under an additional BSD3
license, and then once that process is complete, create a derivative work and
submit it.

Best,

Marvin Humphrey