[PD] Keyboard shortcuts for "nudge", "done editing"

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 03:26:08 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 03:02, Marvin Humphrey <marvin at rectangular.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 08:29:45PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> > Wow, that's interesting.  I don't often hear that, people using Tcl in
> > their work.
>
> I write open source code for a living -- Eventful sponsors my work on the
> Apache Lucy search engine library, and that's where about 75% of my hours
> go.
> A volunteer showed up a little while ago who wants to add Tcl bindings for
> Lucy.  I'm teaching myself Tcl so that I can work with this volunteer more
> effectively.
>
> > Sure you can, its a .tcl script, meaning you are giving the user the
> > source whenever you are giving the user the program.  So its even kind
> > of BSD-ish because you can't give the user a GUI plugin without giving
> > them the source, so you don't need to do anything else to distribute the
> > source. Pd patches are the same idea.
>
> I am sincerely grateful for the pointer to this plugin and for your
> generosity
> with your time and support, but I assume that a miscommunication has
> occurred
> and I am not understanding your suggestion properly.  I cannot take code
> from
> this plugin, make changes to adapt it for Vanilla, remove the GPL tag and
> replace it with an implicit BSD license by submitting it to the patch
> tracker.
> That would not adhere to the original author's license, and it would be a
> violation of copyright.
>
> If I wish to supply the proposed functionality for Vanilla my options are
> either to create a new patch from scratch which cannot be considered a
> "derivative work" of that plugin, or to track down all the original authors
> of
> that plugin, persuade them to issue their code under an additional BSD3
> license, and then once that process is complete, create a derivative work
> and
> submit it.
>
> Best,
>
> Marvin Humphrey

Hello Marvin and Welcome!

I think you just went too theoretical... we're talking about (as far as I
can understand) 2-10 lines of code which you wouldn't even copy-paste but
study and learn and then use what you learned. That's not a derivative work,
that's "looking at" the source, which is free as HC pointed it out.

Andras