[PD] Keyboard shortcuts for "nudge", "done editing"

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Sep 27 18:14:00 CEST 2011

On Sep 27, 2011, at 11:34 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Le 2011-09-25 à 22:59:00, Jonathan Wilkes a écrit :
>
>> It's been forked-- four times (AFAIK).  Nova, DesireData, Pd-
>> extended, and Pd-l2ork.  Two of those forks-- Nova and DesireData--
>> had explicitly stated goals which basically boiled down to being
>> more responsive to the Pd community (in addition to many other
>> things).
>
> Have you ever looked at Nova ?
>
> It's never been a branch of Pd in any sense, and it's never been
> compatible with Pd except in very superficial ways : even MAX is
> more Pd-like than Nova.
>
>> The three clauses of the BSD license used by Pd Vanilla are
>> compatible with both
>> the GPL v2 & v3
>
> Integrating GPL code with BSD code makes GPL the overall dominant
> license, as in it has all the clauses of BSD and makes the most
> restrictions. The BSD license still applies to any portions still
> under BSD license.
>
> The pdextended license (GPL) doesn't say to which parts of the
> programme it applies, and all the copyright/license notices I can
> find (in a bêta of 42) are all BSD. Changes & additions to BSD code
> don't have to be under the BSD license, thus if it's not stated,
> it's somewhat harder to make any assumptions...
>
> That kind of license fuzz is tolerated because pd developers have no
> expectation that lawyers ever have to put their nose in the
> project... and even if they did, they would not have the background
> to know how to fix it, or know which advice they can trust. I think
> that this is true of many (if not most) open/free projects.

Pd-extended as a whole is under the GPLv3, that's the easiest way to
think about it.  Some sections of it are under the BSD License, some
under the Tcl License (which Pd was originally), some under GPLv2, etc.

My personal thoughts on the license of what is in pd-extended.git are
more vague.  Yes, the intention is for much/most of that code to
contributed back to Pd, but my only distribution of the whole thing is
part of the Pd-extended package, which is GPLv3.  So if you want to be
sure, consider it GPLv3.

publicity.          - Bill Moyers