[PD] Re : sigmund~

Benoît Fortier benoitfortier at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 30 17:41:43 CEST 2011

Thanks Frank and Michael.

So I understand that linearity
of amplitudes in this case and, i guess in many other case as far as pd
is concerned, refers to the -1 to 1 scale used to calculate waveform. I do understand the whole idea of linearity and non-linearity but I guess my confusion come from that I tend to see linearity in a relative way. For example, one could say that a linear increase in decidel does not correspond to a linear increase of peak amplitude, and vice et versa (of course). None of the two correspond to a "linear" increase of the sound that we ear either(as in twice the value = twice the volume).I'll go have a look at all the readings you suggested to me, thanks you again for that. I do remember I've read something about it in Miller's book.

Is there anyone else out there using pd to make tools for composers? stuff like spectral analysis that outputs notes in midi format, or tools that transform and modulate melodic patterns in various ways, and then output the result in midi?

Thanks again!
Benoît