[PD] Re : sigmund~

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Sep 30 18:15:31 CEST 2011

Le 2011-09-30 à 08:41:00, Benoît Fortier a écrit :

> scale used to calculate waveform. I do understand the whole idea of
> linearity and non-linearity but I guess my confusion come from that I
> tend to see linearity in a relative way.

Yes, linearity is relative, and it can be confusing. But usually, the one
called linear is the amplitude ; the square of it is called quadratic ;
and the log of it is called logarithmic.

If you have a logarithmic scale and call it amplitude, both the linear and
quadratic scales have to be renamed to exponential scale, as do all other
power scales. Then you can't distinguish them by name anymore, unless you
start stating the base. This scheme is self-consistent but not used in
practice.

C'est tout.