[PD] pulseaudio for Pd WAS: PD on iPhone

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Oct 9 19:00:55 CEST 2011

On Oct 9, 2011, at 12:19 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Le 2011-10-09 à 16:06:00, Pagano, Patrick a écrit :
>
>> I think the easiest way to experiment is with RJDJ
>
> I use libpd in Objective-C++, using almost exclusively the <m_pd.h>
> (and not libpd's own). Actually, I'm almost using Vanilla, except
> for the way the sound API was replaced by a stub that I can plug in
> whatever.
>
> For a future Android port, I expect to use nearly the same except
> that the Apple UIKit code will be replaced by Android's toolkit and
> that the rest of the app will run as JNI.
>
> In the meantime, I made a Linux port of the app, so that Pd runs
> with PulseAudio instead of AudioUnit. AFAIK, this is the first
> occurrence of using PulseAudio directly with Pd, apart from
> LD_PRELOADing an OSS/ALSA emulator.

It would be really awesome to have a pulseaudio driver in Pd-vanilla
(and Pd-extended).  Could you port your portaudio driver to Pd
vanilla?  That would mean that Pd would have easily working sound on
most GNU/Linux distros, a big win for newbies and people who like to
listen to music while patching.

I don't know if this is related, but your fellow Montrealer Patrick
posted about pulse+libpd a while back:
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2011-02/086571.html

publicity.          - Bill Moyers