[PD] Array Size limits

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Fri Oct 21 17:51:05 CEST 2011

I think the OP wants to know what's the maximum size for an array in PD,
so as to know how much audio he can fit in it unless I misunderstud his
question.

I made a little non-scientific test here growing a table on a linux
machine with 2 GiB RAM (and quad processor @ 2.4 GHz but I think it's
not so relevant for array size). The machine started to get a little
less responsive at array size 4.2984e+08 that is about 2.5 (mono) hours
at 48Khz sampling rate and about 2.7 hours at 44.1Khz (still mono). That
would give you roughly 1 and a quarter worth of stereo audio to put in
arrays. I think RAM quantity is the key here.

Of course you should keep in mind extra processing etc. not just the
array size.

Do you know in advance how long the audio will be?

If you have multiple files (instead of a single big one) you might
consider using 2 or more arrays and switching between each other while
Another approach might be to do the random cutting offline by splitting
the big file(s) into small random chunks through a programme/script and
then loading and playing those (could be another random layer there too)

Also I'm not aware if there are externals to stream audio from disk, and
furthermore being able to start at a discrete point in the audio

Lorenzo.