[PD] expr alternative

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 04:32:43 CEST 2011

On 26/10/11 09:53, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> It's worse than that-- they want to lock their customers into using their hardware
> only in the ways they intend.  Ever tried syncing an Ipad with a free software
> operating system?

indeed it is, but I was trying to focus on the open source issue as relates to code.

Their corporate strategy regarding creating and maintaining a monopoly on as
many technologies as they can, and taking a percentage of every transaction
within those monopoly platforms is very sensible and reasonable way to maximise
profits if you have the resources and embrace free market principles.

Most economists and all free market advocates assume this is as a good thing,
and the best way to run a society. Obviously I personally disagree very strongly
with this assertion, and so do many others. But the current "western" model of
society says this behaviour is not only legal, but is admirable - a best
practice example of successful marketing and a very profitable business model.

It is all bullshit, but many many voters disagree with me on this.

Simon