[PD] any easy way to get data from 3 arduino (firmata) to one comport (pduino)?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Oct 26 18:35:22 CEST 2011

The Firmata protocol is built around a one device connection (it was
written for Arduino-USB), so having multiple devices sending their
data over a single serial port won't work with the Firmata protocol.

I seem to recall that Xbees can send on different channels.  If so, I
think the easiest thing to do is to have one xbee receiver per
arduino, each on its own channel, and therefore one serial port per
xbee.

If you want to only have one receiver, you'll have to create your own
protocol.  Perhaps an easy way to do that would be to wrap the
existing Firmata protocol with some identifier of which arduino is
came from.

You could also look at the xbee object in the pure-data svn, its in
externals/io/xbee.  But that also means no Firmata.

.hc

On Oct 26, 2011, at 7:47 AM, onyx at onyx-ashanti.com wrote:

> greetings.  i was wondering, any insight on taking the data from 3
> arduinos running firmata and dumping them, using xbee trancievers,
> to a single comport in in pure data?
>
> my project uses 3 xbee "transmitter" nodes which communicate
> directly with its own xbee basestation"reciever"  at my computer.
> this works but i seek to refine the system to have one basestation
> xbee that will recieve all of the data from the 3 nodes.  from what
> i understand of this process, i need to add a tag like "left" in the
> arduino code" then parse that data on the computer end.  but it
> seems as if this will break the arduino object.
>
> my options, i feel, are to try to either add the tag, parse the data
> in pure data before the arduino object and somehow send the parsed
> data to 3 instances of the arduino object or to attempt to rewrite
> the arduino firmaware and the pd recieving abstraction since i dont
> foresee the hardware configuration changing all that much.  insight?
>
> cheers,
>
> Onyx
>
> --
> Help me build the sickest live performance system ever!
> www.indiegogo.com/beatjazzsystem
> www.onyx-ashanti.com
> Germany+49 176 3543 7859

"[T]he greatest purveyor of violence in the world today [is] my own
government." - Martin Luther King, Jr.