[PD] Interruption of audio / Loading sound into array

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Nov 10 17:27:28 CET 2011

Le 2011-11-10 à 09:54:00, Charles Goyard a écrit :

> Hans and I are talking from the user (user=the guy that creates a patch)
> point of view. That is, it _looks like_ objects do things in parallel
> when patched with parallel cords.

That's not from a user's perspective, that's the perspective of someone
who doesn't have a clue. A real user learns about execution order, [t]
order and [unpack] order in the first few hours of learning. Those who
don't actually get their job done by someone who knows. (this doesn't take
~-objects into account, who use a different execution model)

> Of course that's not true, pure-data is more of a multiplexed
> state-machine, just like an ethernet network. [...] Does "switched
> state-machine" sounds good to define pd's core ?

Well... sounds like a math undergrad exercise of fitting any state
transition model onto a possibly infinite-by-infinite matrix and then try
to multiply it by an infinite vector of markov chain state probabilities,
using limits and stuff. I vaguely remember doing this in 2nd year at UdeM.
It's one of those « anything can be expressed as anything else » kind of
exercise.

When trying to be practical, though, flat state machines are usually
ineffectual, and nearly everybody who says just « state machine » means
the flat thing. Some came up with something named hierarchical state
machine, which is a much more useful model for nesting stuff, because it
uses a stack. But to understand PureData, the whole GOTO concept at heart
of state machines is not very useful. You still need to distinguish how
many messages a [t] or a [until] has sent, but the GOTO model isn't so
useful for that, especially when number of states are variable or
unlimited, but also any time that a metaphor of storage can be used (e.g.
[until] uses an internal int variable to count iterations when it needs
to). But overall, it's better to put a lot more emphasis on stack
metaphors when teaching Pd, because a lot of Pd is to send messages
(function call) and to come back (return) from the processing of a
message.

> In that respect, soundfiler is not made to run well in a switched
> environnement such as pd. Just like a network interface that would
> saturate a link, ignoring time-slots, collision-detection and such.

The big resemblance between the two is really just the realtime aspect.
Apart from that, Pd doesn't generally ever discards any data, whereas a
network switch has to, and Pd does its execution mainly by depth-first
searches, whereas network switches hardly ever have to do any recursion.