[PD] Interruption of audio / Loading sound into array

Charles Goyard cg at fsck.fr
Thu Nov 10 20:09:07 CET 2011

Hi,

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> Le 2011-11-10 à 09:54:00, Charles Goyard a écrit :
>
> >Hans and I are talking from the user (user=the guy that creates a patch)
> >point of view. That is, it _looks like_ objects do things in parallel
> >when patched with parallel cords.
>
> That's not from a user's perspective, that's the perspective of
> someone who doesn't have a clue.

I'll try to make myself crearer. Behavior like blocking on file load in
a stock object is unexpected in a real-time environment.

> >In that respect, soundfiler is not made to run well in a switched
> >environnement such as pd. Just like a network interface that would
> >saturate a link, ignoring time-slots, collision-detection and such.
>
> The big resemblance between the two is really just the realtime
> aspect.

Ethernet networks are fast but not realtime. They drop and ask for
retransmission if necessary , whereas a realtime system ought to just
drop data and go on to keep in time.