[PD] "get" method for Pd

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 19:35:36 CET 2011

----- Original Message -----

Miller said "object", so I'm assuming he meant [info] (though I don't think anyone
else agreed that it would be the right approach).

Benefit:
* [info] would have a help patch, so it would be easier to document, plus avoid
the confusion of the pd receive symbol with the [pd] canvas

Benefit of [; pd info(
* easier to code, plus it fits nicely with the extend implicit set methods katja
mentioned -- [; pd dsp 1( etc. (i.e., using the currently existing methods to
set attributes)

Maybe others have benefit/drawback ideas?

> [;pd info(
>
> would dump all the info to:
>
> [receive pd]
> |
> [route info]
>
> Then you could also specify specific things to request:
>
> [; pd info dsp(
>
> would dump:
>
> [receive pd]
> |
> [route info]
> |
> [route dsp]
>
> As for GUI-related things, I think 'pd-gui' should have its own
> 'pd-gui' receive listener, so you direct GUI-related stuff to [send
> pd-gui].

I agree these should be separated.