[PD] "get" method for Pd

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 17 19:42:38 CET 2011

This leads to an interesting larger design issue.  I've so far resisted
the idea of using send/receive as a back channel for getting return
values because of the unreadablity of the resulting patch.  So, for
instance, samplerate~ just puts the sample rate on its outlet.  The other
way, assuming you want locality, would be to confect a unique symbol name
and then somehow to "receive" it (I'm not even sure that's possible without
making a self-editing patch).

But there are other situation which seem to beg for the "receive" solution.
For example you have a complicated object like textfile and you just want to
query it as to how many lines it has.

although it's migraine-inducing, the neatest solution would be to allow
"info" style objects to have a right-hand outlet that you connect to, say,
the "textfile" object like so:

[get linecount(

[textfile -reference]
 |                [textfile]
[15<

(where "15" would be the number of lines in the lower textfile object).  I
think Krzystof Chaya did something like this in his wonderful "xeq" object
(first Pd convention, Graz.)

cheers
Miller