[PD] [zyx-patchbay] graphical patchbay/router for control and signal connections.

Patrick King inaudible at simplesuperlativ.es
Fri Jan 13 12:04:15 CET 2012

On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 11:09 +0100, João Pais wrote:
> Hi,
>
> another pitfall, after selecting a receive-send pair, if you click another
> receive, the last selected send will still be active, and the connection
> will be made with only 1 click. Or maybe this is more clear:
> - create "in receive foo1", "out send bar", "in receive foo2"
> - make a connection by clicking foo1 and bar
> - if you now press foo2, bar will connect with it.
> A way to prevent unwanted connections would be to force the left->right
> connection order.

it's a design choice, you can untoggle 'bar' by clicking it twice. a
future release will auto-untoggle with a delay. i leave 'bar' toggled in
this case as it becomes easy to disconnect the wore by clicking foo1
again.

> Wouldn't it make more sense to put the sends in the left side, and the
> receives in the right side? (unless for arabic or hebrew speakers)

this concept seems backwards, yes,  but as the patchbay is only acting
as a go between using s/r pairs the roles get reversed. it makes more
sense if you say add an 'out dac~ 1' or 'in adc~ 1' (this causes a type
mismatch here, as '1' is not a float not a valid symbol, but you get the
idea). essentially you're going from somewhere (left) to somewhere
(right), but yeah i get your point - it's confusing!

> Nice patch, I've done a similar one to manage jack connections in my
> ardourjack-gui, but without the nice data-s gui with cables and dynamic
> patching, just a dynamic list of sends/receives. The graphical part would
> be the next step, but for now I'm not using ubuntu that often.
> The [ardourjack-gui] is packed only with 0.43-ext, but a version is here.
> You can use it to both control ardour from pd, and to create/delete jack
> connections. It only works with linux, as it relies on [ggee/shell] (last
> time I tried it in macos it didn't work).

feel free to rip the guts out of it if you think you can make the gui
work with the jack manager, most of the concepts will be pretty similar.

thanks for the feedback :)