[PD] OT: faster than Fourier transform

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jan 25 23:25:43 CET 2012

Le 2012-01-25 à 16:16:00, Charles Henry a écrit :

> I've wondered about that too-from a perceptual point of view.  There's
> not much differentiation among noise signals.  They all mostly sound the
> same

Well, the brain still has to extract enough info from them to have a
general idea of what kind of noise it is (a rough shape of spectrum), and
ESPECIALLY extract the non-noise portions of the spectrum.

> Even though there's a very large number of dimensions for variation,
> they must have a sparse representation somewhere (in the brains...
> brains...)
>
> but the FFT?  no way...

Well, there are perceptual models that try to separate «noise» from
«non-noise» for easier encoding and stuff...