[PD] OT: faster than Fourier transform

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 03:36:27 CET 2012

I read about this in New Scientist. It seemed interesting at first, but I am fairly sure that it is quite specific in its applications. It reminds me of the mpeg 1 layer 3 approach, which is to "psychoacoustically" encode the audio with less data by removing parts of the signal we "don't hear". I think the application (telecoms) is more concerned with locating free radio space than accessing partials in a better way, although I may be wrong. I'm sure it will have audio applications eventually...

Still the problem with any window-based FFT is that we have to get enough points (e.g. 512, 1024) before we can do the analysis, so there is always a delay (44100/1024 = ~43ms) between live input and output (latency). Much more interesting is the sliding phase vocoder (Russell Bradford, Richard Dobson, and John ffitch, 2005) where the FFT is adjusted in each sample rather than each frame, and the latency is significantly reduced. They also told me it is capable of things like FM synthesis with a live input as the carrier, although I haven't heard any examples of this (yet).

Ed

Reference:dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/Papers/spv-icmc2007.pdf

Gemnotes-0.1alpha: Live music notation for Pure Data
http://sharktracks.co.uk/