[PD] Pd-extended 0.43 tests builds usable again

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Feb 3 04:12:41 CET 2012

On Feb 2, 2012, at 1:59 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Le 2012-02-01 à 21:21:00, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>
>> Cocoa is what Apple calls their native GUI toolkit.  Pd uses Tcl/Tk for the GUI, so its not Cocoa.  Apple Mail is definitely Cocoa, as are basically all of the apps that Apple includes.  Something like Firefox is not a Cocoa app.
>
> Pd is «half» of a Cocoa app, because on one hand Tcl/Tk on OSX is a portability layer over Cocoa, but on the other hand doesn't follow every convention specified by Cocoa, and isn't designed to let a Tcl/Tk app access every existing Cocoa feature either.

Tk/Cocoa is Cocoa, Pd-extended is still using Tk/Carbon.  Hopefully we can switch to Tk/Cocoa in 0.44.

As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and this we should do freely and generously.         - Benjamin Franklin