[PD] GUI and DSP

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Feb 8 21:22:03 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-08 à 11:55:00, Jonathan Wilkes a écrit :

> While technically correct that's misleading because there's a lot of
> stuff happening on the 'pd' side that a reasonable person would assume
> to be handled on the 'pd-gui' side.  Well, more than that-- there's
> stuff happening on the 'pd' side that doesn't need to happen at all, but
> it can use massive amounts of CPU and consequently a reasonable person
> gets dropouts when moving an array that has only 100 points visible and
> erroneously thinks, "Wow, I get dropouts just moving some polygons
> around on the screen? Tk stinks!"

Besides, you could save some cpu, ram and bandwidth if all those array
floats were hex-encoded instead of dec-encoded. Don't use "%g" nor "%d"
when you can use "%x" and similar... especially fixed-width %x such as
"%04x".

If Tcl had fast base64 support (like Perl/Ruby), the difference would be
even bigger. And it would bigger with the ability to send binary data
(which can't happen now because "}" counts as end-of-block).