[PD] GUI and DSP

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Feb 11 17:59:00 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-10 à 20:09:00, Jonathan Wilkes a écrit :

> For me the create-delete method uses more CPU but both are pretty
> intensive. Any Qt devs out there?  Or gtk'ers?  Maybe a JUCEr?  Would
> those toolkits be able to utilize the GPU?  Those would be nice to
> compare, too.

In the end, switching toolkits wouldn't be a bad idea, but it's not the
only solution. Some things inside of tk could be improved. Modifying tk
can be scary, more so if we have to think seriously about bundling alpha
versions of tk 8.7 together with pd-extended, but the alternative is to
rewrite large amounts of code (everything using sys_gui or implicitly
referring to Tcl), which is error-prone, hard to test, and too many
changes in one chunk.

So, it's not very clear to me which one is best.

I had tried making some changes to Tk 8.5, and it seemed somewhat
promising. I was getting large speedups for some cases, and large
slowdowns for some other cases. With more work, the latter could have been
eliminated. It would benefit most other uses of Tk Canvas in other apps as
well, so it could be integrated to Tk itself.