[PD] wiimote report

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 15:57:37 CET 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 15:09 -0500, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> > I can easily test this at the next rehearsal. But I think the more important
> > question is whether that would make any difference. In other words, are
> > the wiimote maintainers interested in merging disis_wiimote functionality.
>
> OK, so studied the wiimote structure and decided to adopt its output model for disis_wiimote to streamline interoperability between the two. This means I adopted dynamic number of wiimotes, removed reliance on cwiid_internal.h, and included single data outlet model with prepended descriptors.

Nice. Personally, I prefer this design.

> One curious thing is that it appears that cwiid can only do 2 continuous streams (accelerometer + expansion, accelerometer + ir, or ir + expansion, never all three; buttons always work). I saw that someone did try to enqueue messages in the other version of wiimote external but that should have no effect as this is something that comes from cwiid and I suspect it is the way how hardware works... I did contact the original cwiid dev to hear their thoughts and am awaiting his response. In the meantime, if anyone has any thoughts on this I would love to hear them.

I just tested that with the [wiimote] from pd-svn and it seems I can
have three continuous streams going at the same time (though the update
rate seems to lower). I enabled accelerometers, IR and motionplus and
got updates on all three. Is it really a limitation by cwiid, then?

Roman