[PD] old editing features of Pd-extended 0.43

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Feb 18 18:25:56 CET 2012

On Feb 18, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Le 2012-02-17 à 15:02:00, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>
>> First off, the pd-gui side of Pd has been re-written from scratch. When you run Pd, you are actually running two programs: pd is the core engine and pd-gui is the GUI. Since basically all computers now come with multiple CPU cores, this means that pd-gui will usually run on a separate CPU core than pd, so they don’t step on each other’s toes.
>
> It was already like that since the first version of pd ever, over 15 years ago. It's misleading to write it in the same paragraph as « the pd-gui side of Pd has been re-written from scratch ». You also don't state which part of the pd-gui has been rewritten from scratch, which obscures the fact that a large fraction of it hasn't been rewritten.

You are correct, the two process architecture has been there since the beginning, I guess my write-up was a bit unclear there.  I only claim that the code for the 'pd-gui' process was rewritten, which is was.  Every aspect of Pd's GUI was not rewritten.  As I mentioned in that email, that is a target for some of us for 0.44.

> It's a bad idea to take credit for things that Miller had already done or that his contributors had done.
>
> If you want to say, for example, that pd-extended 43 fixes a certain cause of hiccups due to bad sync between the two parts of pd, then you can say it like that, more or less, but a goal to keeping explanations simple doesn't entitle you to say what you have said.

Where did I take credit for that?  Sorry if there was confusion there.  Pd and Pd-extended are the work of many people, I am just one of them.  The pd-gui rewrite was also the work of at least 5 people.

"[T]he greatest purveyor of violence in the world today [is] my own government." - Martin Luther King, Jr.