[PD] minicomputers for pd + gem (linux)

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 05:40:13 CET 2012

On 20/02/12 01:39, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 02/17/12 21:43, Andy Farnell wrote:
>> As Ubuntu continues to get heavier I heartily recommend
>> you look at stock Debian Squeeze with a lite window manager
>> if you want to use the machine for artistic work, rather than
>> as a general purpose desktop.
>

> as a system administrator i think "Debian squeeze" is a great distribution to
> run my servers.
>
> as an artist working with multimedia content, i would rather go with something
> more "experimental", namely "Debian wheezy" (aka "testing").
> in reality i usually run "Debian wheezy/sid" (aka "testing/unstable"), but then
> i'm doing debian development and the like (so this might be a bit too "hot" for
> ordinary users)
>
> wheezy usually has up-to-data packages, e.g. you get Pd-0.43.1
>
> note however, that since testing is a moving target, you might get masses of
> updates every other week.

and you can make installing and maintaining "Debian wheezy/sid" quite a bit
easier by using aptosid to install it, I've found their installer and kernel
quite good at recognising new hardware, and their manual pages very helpful in
describing basic methods to configure Debian. The xfce version is reasonably
minimal.

They install almost pure Debian sid, with their own kernel (but switching to the
stock debian one, or something else, is quite possible) ... while maintaining a
small repository of current bugfixes, keeping a few packages on hold while their
updates are problematic, and maintaining a good warning system for updates.

http://aptosid.com/

Simon