[PD] [PD-announce] old editing features of Pd-extended 0.43

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 14:28:10 CET 2012

On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 16:47 -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> Le 2012-02-18 à 21:57:00, Roman Haefeli a écrit :
>
> > An attitude of trying to make things look bad for no obvious reason.
>
> What Hans has written at the beginning of the announcement is bad and this
> is why I « make it look bad ».
>
> > I think that all recent efforts done in Pd and Pd-extended are great
>
> The great efforts that Hans puts in the Pd-extended project should not
> give him the right to say whatever he wants.

Of course, not. Still, I - according to my personal judgment (I cannot
speak for you) - didn't read Hans as he would be claiming unjustified
credit.

> I'm not even talking about that topic.
>
> > If people feel pretermitted, I think it's up to them to speak up.
>
> You mean that it's alright to give the impression that a lot more has
> changed in Pd than what really has changed ?

No, I agree that giving a misleading impression should be avoided, but
the point (again) is that I still believe I didn't get any wrong
impression (probably I'm wrong here?). I must also say I haven't looked
at the code itself, but followed the commit history of Pd-0.43 and the
talks in the mailing lists pd-list and pd-dev. And my impression was
that some of what could be changed regarding pd<->pd-gui communication
was achieved, but it's still an ongoing process.

>  Do you think that it helps
> making Pd be taken seriously ?

Interesting question. I haven't thought about what could help make Pd be
taken less or more seriously. Thinking about it, I feel that people
often tend to take something seriously for odd reasons, like if has a
'nice' interface, if it costs much, if prominent person XY has a
positive opinion about it, etc.

Roman