[PD] [PD-announce] old editing features of Pd-extended 0.43

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Feb 20 20:27:33 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-20 à 14:28:00, Roman Haefeli a écrit :

> No, I agree that giving a misleading impression should be avoided, but
> the point (again) is that I still believe I didn't get any wrong
> impression (probably I'm wrong here?). I must also say I haven't looked
> at the code itself, but followed the commit history of Pd-0.43 and the
> talks in the mailing lists pd-list and pd-dev. And my impression was
> that some of what could be changed regarding pd<->pd-gui communication
> was achieved, but it's still an ongoing process.

Oh, something was achieved, yes. Pd 43 incorporates several ideas from
DesireData, rewritten such that they work in vanilla/extended. For
example, replacing pd-gui by plain Wish, and adding some tables so that
Tk-side code can be more aware of what's going on, such as « canvas
finished loading » events (though this part of pd43 is completely
different from DesireData's equivalent).

But 43's «rewrite» is still a small portion of even just rewriting the Tk
side of the GUI.

>>  Do you think that it helps making Pd be taken seriously ?
> Interesting question. I haven't thought about what could help make Pd be
> taken less or more seriously. Thinking about it, I feel that people
> often tend to take something seriously for odd reasons,

Ok. Now think about developers. What happens when one gets enthusiastic
about pd43 because the announcement sounds like there was a huge amount of
change, and then looks at the code and see that in the end there isn't
nearly that much difference ?